MSNBC DELIVERS MOST TOTAL DAY GROWTH IN CABLE NEWS DURING MONTH OF MAY
“Morning Joe” Beats CNN in Both Total Viewers and Demo; Prime Beats CNN in Total Viewers
MSNBC Dayside Growth Soars Over CNN and Fox News
MSNBC Year-to-Year Gains Far Outpace CNN and Fox News in All Key Dayparts
JUNE 1, 2016 -- MSNBC delivered the most total day growth in cable news for the month of May 2016 (M-Su 6am-6am), averaging gains of +61% in total viewers and +49% in the A25-54 demo versus May 2015. By comparison, CNN was up just +33% in total viewers and +20% in the demo, and Fox News was up +19% in total viewers and +11% in the demo. MSNBC’s year-to-year rise far outpaces that of CNN and Fox News in all key dayparts and metrics.
“Morning Joe” (M-F 6-9am) topped CNN’s “New Day” in both total viewers (583,000 vs. 431,000) and the A25-54 demo (147,000 vs. 127,000) for the second straight month, also marking the MSNBC program’s 15th consecutive monthly win over CNN in total audience. “Morning Joe” is posting huge gains versus May 2015: up +91% in A25-54 (compared to just +6% for CNN and +2% for Fox News), and up +63% in total viewers (compared to CNN at +24% and Fox News at +14%).
MSNBC’s strategic shift to a breaking news focus during the day continues to deliver unrivaled year-to-year growth. During May 2016, MSNBC dayside (M-F 9am-5pm) posted a demo surge of +119% over May 2015 -- nearly twelve times greater than CNN’s growth (+10%) and far outpacing that of Fox News (+5%). Among total viewers, MSNBC’s dayside programming expanded by +93%, compared to CNN at +23% and Fox News at +11%.
MSNBC beat CNN in both total viewers in primetime (M-F 8-11pm) during May 2016, posting growth of +95% in total viewers and +100% in the demo versus May 2015. By comparison, CNN grew +50% in total viewers and +29% in the demo, and Fox News grew by +27% in total viewers and +19% in the demo.
- “The Rachel Maddow Show” again ranked ahead of CNN in both total viewers (1.171 mil vs. 829,000) and the demo (283,000 vs. 261,000), extending its winning streak among total viewers to 36 consecutive months.
- “Hardball with Chris Matthews” topped CNN in total viewers (873,000 vs. 708,000) for the second straight month.
- “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” outpaced CNN in total viewers for the 12th consecutive month (957,000 vs.705,000).
- “MTP Daily with Chuck Todd” delivered strong year-to-year gains in the 5pm hour, up +98% in A25-54 and 31% in total viewers.
- “All In with Chris Hayes” grew by 90% in A25-54 and 69% in total viewers over May 2015.
# # #